Saturday, September 13, 2008

[BY REQUEST] JO JO GUNNE - SO... WHERE'S THE SHOW

After the erratic and self-consciously weird Jumpin' the Gunne, this album is a return to form. More than that, actually -- the replacement of founding guitarist Matt Andes with John Stahely resulted in a tighter, more focused, and generally more interesting band than ever before. Jo Jo Gunne was originally formed to be, in Jay Ferguson's phrase, "a hard-ass rock band," and on So...Where's the Show they finally were one. Ferguson responded to the harder edge by abandoning the synthesizer in favor of a jazzy piano sound, an inspired move under the circumstances. The combination enlivens even the dud songs; "I'm Your Shoe" starts as a pedestrian slow-grind, but has an incredible instrumental break in which the whole band rocks hard and fast, then drops out suddenly to let Ferguson take a wonderful and delicate piano solo. The element of surprise gets you the first time, the brilliant playing every time afterward. When the band actually takes on a song with a half-decent hook all the way through, the results are splendid. The title cut, "She Said Allright," and "Falling Angel" are all winners, and there isn't a single track that is actually a dud. If it was inevitable that Jo Jo Gunne was going to break up, at least they left one consistently good album behind. 

Tracks :

Where Is the Show?
I'm Your Shoe
Single Man
She Said Allright
S&M Blvd.
Falling Angel
Big, Busted Bombshell from Bermuda
Into My Life
Around the World


Artwork Included

3 comments:

  1. Hi Preacher,
    Thanks to post these two albums, please could you post the “Sweet giant of the blues” de Otis Spann?.
    Cheers,
    Juan

    ReplyDelete
  2. juan as I said , I have the album on vinyl, but i am not in a position to make the rip. I tried to connect the pc but all get is static... It seems that i have a problem with the cables, until I buy a new one , i will post my cd's only.And believe me , with the money i get from my salary, i can barely cover the internet costs. I good cable costs as much as 3 monthly internet bills. I hope that the problem will be solved soon.
    Greetings and peace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Preacher for the info, and I have understood your technical problems.
    I hope to find this album because the tape where I have recorded it have been broken.
    Greetings,
    Juan

    ReplyDelete

 
tracker tracker